Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Welcome to 21th century, Aliaksey!

I'm used to slow, expensive & unreliable Internet. Because of that I tended to keep as much as possible on my local hard drive. I had tons of specs, articles, e-books. And I even kept local mirror of entire Debian unstable repository! That's because at home and until recently at Altoros office I had quite limited and expensive Internet access. I tried (successfully) to reduce my dependency on Internet as mush as possible.

Around 2 weeks ago I accidentally deleted most of my 'stuff'. And now I'm forced to use online resources. And quite surprisingly that's not bad experience at all! Internet here, at Bay Area, is fast enough. And googling for information and reading it online sometimes seems to be even faster than locating and opening it from local disk.

This is unusual and new experience. When I, for example, need some information on how something is done in python I just ask Google. And within mere seconds I have precisely what I need! I've even started reading PDF articles online via Chrome's plugin without downloading them first.

I'm slowly getting used to 21th century Internet. I'm still not quite 100% comfortable with depending on Internet availability. And some lookups are definitely much faster against local data. For example, I don't think anything can be faster than local supermegadoc documentation lookup of some function. But I'm going to stop downloading interesting stuff and will instead bookmark it. Let's see how it'll go. I'm especially curious how it will work when I'll return home. Hopefully, we'll have speedy ADSL connection by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment